Re: "Neutron" dose

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:16:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Thomas,

> I assume that Alberto's statement above means, that Neutron dose is
> kerma in the case that the secondary is not a proton, else the proton
> will "take care" about depositing the energy (via delta rays, low
> energy electros and so on, depending on the chosen PART-THR). Can you
> confirm or correct ?

In FLUKA, protons from neutron rections are explicitely transported in two
cases and only those two cases:
1) recoil protons, i.e. hydrogen nuclei hit by a neutron
2) protons from N(n,p) reaction
but protons from other (n,p), (n,np) etc. reactions are not transported
and their energy is deposited as kerma.
If you read again carefully Sec. 10.3.3 of the manual, you will realize
that this is exactly what the manual says.
In my previous mail, my intent was to stress the fact that in real life
energy is ultimately deposited by electrons, and I mentioned the kerma
approximation used by FLUKA for the majority of low-energy neutron reactions,
without thinking it necessary to refer to the two exceptions 1) and 2) above.

Best regards,

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025