Re: fluka + pythia

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:56:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Ercan,

the error is due to the fact that some of the particles you read from the
file have an energy higher than the 5 GeV you have indicated by the BEAM
command in your input file. That value is used to set the higher limit of
cross section tabulations, so it should be higher than the energy of any
particle you read with your source.

In the manual, for each particle that can be transported with FLUKA, the
corresponding PDG number is also reported. PDG numbers non reported there
represent particles with a half-life too short to be transported.
You should run Pythia letting those particles decay, so that the file
would contain only particles that FLUKA can transport.

As an alternative solution, not very elegant (but perhaps sufficient for
your purposes?) you can replace each of those particles by a pion with
the same charge and the same total energy (mass+kinetic). At least, this
trick will conserve energy. But of course, it will ignore all particles lighter
than the pion that can be produced in the decay (electrons, photons,
neutrinos). So, although energy is conserved, neutrino energy which would
escape from the system will remain in the system. I would much prefer
having Pythia doing the decay.

Alberto