Re: problem with neutron shielding with borated polyethylene

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:02:16 -0800 (PST)

Dear En-Min,

borated polyethylene is a good shielding for thermal and epithermal neutrons,
but if you inject 2 GeV electrons on borated polyethylene, you don't get
immediately thermal neutrons. You get gammas, which produce neutrons
of about 2 MeV (and the number of neutrons produced is not the same if
the polyethylene is 5% borated or 30% borated!) These neutrons are partly
escaping, and partly slowed down until some of them are becoming thermal
and are captured by the boron. It is a complex situation: therefore, it is not
at all obvious that the total effect would be to reduce the neutron
fluence. It depends also on the size of the polyethylene shield.

Such a complex situation is difficult to assess with simple considerations:
and that is the reason you are using Monte Carlo!In-Reply-To: <201112200743.pBK7hbDn027370_at_smtp1.mi.infn.it>
20:02:22 +0100 (CET)

Try some modifications on your problem: for instance let the electron beam hit
a target instead of the polyethylene, so that the neutron production happens
outside the polyethylene, and the latter acts only as a shield and not
also as a neutron-producing target.

Alberto