Re: low energy neutron cross-section

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:55:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi Xu Lijun,

ENDF/B-VI is just a generic name for several versions, the latest being
ENDF/B-VI.8 (or ENDF/B6R8). Which version are you talking about?
Versions older than 8 are non available anymore on NNDC and the IAEA websites,
so I cannot check if there are differences. But anyway the carbon and oxygen
cross sections in FLUKA have been taken from ENDF/B-VI.8 since at least 2003,
and those of carbon are presently from ENDF/B-VII.0.

Looking at the recent versions (not only ENDF/B-VI.8 but also ENDF/B-VII.0
and ENDF/B-VII.1) it appears that it is not true what you say, that "The
interaction between low energy neutron and oxygen or carbon material is
mainly elastic scattering, so there couldn't be a peak in the pulse height
spectrum". The total cross section shows large peaks due to inelastic reactions
above 0.5 MeV, for both carbon and oxygen.

Alberto