Re: Secondary Alpha and Recoil Nuclei

From: Fawaz Ali <fawaz.ali_at_mycampus.uoit.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:04:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your response. I am doing microdosimetry simulations in FLUKA (simulating the response of a Tissue Equivalent
Proportional Counter to low energy neutron irradiation) and generally, the following is observed in the pulse height spectrum:

- Protons produced by neutron elastic scatter with H-1 and by 14N(n,p) deposit roughly between 13 - 133 keV of kinetic energy

- Alphas produced by fast neutron capture with C-12, O-16, and N-14 deposit between 133 - 667 keV of kinetic energy

- Carbon, Oxygen, and Nitrogen recoil nuclei deposit 667 - 1333 keV of kinetic energy

In the pulse height spectrum I obtained from the DETECT card, I only see the proton region populated (i.e. counts are present
between the 13 - 133 keV span). However, no counts have been registered in the energy spans pertaining to alpha and heavy recoil
nuclei energy deposition. I will certainly have a look at USRBIN and RESNUCLEi to see if I can score the kinetic energy deposited
by these particles in the sensitive volume of the counter.

Thanks,
Fawaz