Re: Question on Activity units

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:50:27 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Mina,

if you set the volume = 1, the program assumes that the volume is 1 cm^3.
And it will give you an answer in Bq/cm^3, as in any other case.
But YOU will know if that 1 cm^3 is the actual volume or instead a dummy volume
that you have defined in order to get the total activity: you cannot expect the
program to know! So, if total activity is your goal, of course you can
INTERPRET the result as Bq.
All the program does is to calculate the total activity and divide it by a
number: that number is usually the volume, but it can be any other normalization
factor. You can set that number as the mass of the region, and you get Bq/g, or
the volume in m^3, and you get Bq/m^3, etc.
The program is just a program, don't expect it to do the thinking for you...

Alberto