(no subject)

From: Vittorio Boccone <boccone_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:43:33 +0200

Dear Ertan,
    FLUKA needs this coefficients as an input parameters (you are talking
about attenuation length and absorption coefficient for optical photons
right?). There might be some chemical simulation tools which can give
you an estimation of the ideal absorption lines and light propagation
properties of materials, provided that you model correctly your material.

The support for optical photons in FLUKA is extended to: (From the manual)
    1.1.9} Optical photons

    * Generation and transport (on user's request) of Cherenkov,
      Scintillation and Transition Radiation.
    * Transport of light of given wavelength in materials
with_user-defined optical
      properties_.

The refractive index of the material can be estimated by the simulation
of the dielectric constant
   http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5016223&abstractAccess=no&userType=inst
There are software which allow you to obtains even the refractive index
in some cases. But the result can be easily off by 20-30% see for
example http://www.nitto.com/rd/base/analyze/molecule.html

The absorption coefficient and the attenuation length are strongly
wavelength dependant and depend on many factors from the lattice
properties, the impurities content and the type and energy of the atomic
bond. Graphite and diamond are for example the same element but they
have completely different light propagation properties because of the
different bond types between the atoms.

cheers
V.