simulate PET activity

From: Aafke Kraan <aafke.kraan_at_pi.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:59:55 +0200

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me with the following. We have
developed a PET module and have taken PET data after having irradiated a
PPMA target with a certain amount of protons in a certain time frame.
Now we would like to compare our PET data with Monte Carlo predictions
for the activity.

First, I thought I could somehow make use of the URSBIN flag ACTIVITY.
However, studying in more detail the literature (mostly Parodi etal) I
saw that they do not use this flag at all, but make a prediction for the
PET activity in a different way, i.e. by calculating the amount of beta+
emitters using proton beam fluence and experimental cross sections.
However, this code is not public.

In addition, I saw a previous discussion here
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/4235.html
but unfortunately from this I still haven't really understood how to
compare it.

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the best way to predict PET
activity distributions with FLUKA, so we can compare them with our PET
data. I would be really grateful for any help or instructions!
Thanks!

Best wishes,
Aafke Kraan