Re: Some Explanation of FLUKA results is Requested !

From: Andrea Tsinganis <Andrea.Tsinganis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:38:34 +0100

Dear Dr. Jamil,

I have no experience with GEANT, but concerning the FLUKA result I think
that what you see is the recoil proton spectrum from polyethylene which
FLUKA explicitly produces for hydrogen. I would guess that the structure
you observe at higher energies - especially since the H(n,el) cross section
is smooth - is an artefact due to the fact that you are using neutrons
<20MeV crossing a thin target (0.3mm): when there is a reasonable
probability that a neutron will not interact more than once, then the
multigroup approach implemented in FLUKA becomes less reliable.

A look at chapter 10 of the FLUKA manual to understand the treatment of
neutrons <20MeV in FLUKA (particularly section 10.1.1) should clarify these
points. There should also be other similar past threads in the FLUKA list.

Perhaps the experts can provide some greater insight...

Cheers,
Andrea