Re: Questions about EM interactions and scoring

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 03:09:11 -0800 (PST)

Dear Michele,

you are not contradicting me at all! On the contrary, the quotes you
are reporting from the MCNP/X and the Geant4/GAMOS manuals are confirming
exactly the description I gave of the next event estimator.
I wrote:
     "The next event estimator produces a contribution at every collision point,
      by calculating the probability that the particle would scatter in the
      direction of the scoring point and would reach it without further
      interaction. THAT DIRECTION IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ACTUAL DIRECTION
      FOLLOWED BY THE PARTICLE".
To be compared with the GAMOS manual:
      "...for each neutron or gamma interaction is calculated the probability
       that it would be deviated in the direction of the point detector
       (INSTEAD OF THE REAL DIRECTION TOWARDS WHICH IT IS DEVIATED)"

You wrote instead:
      "it is a fluence tally at a point if the next event is a trajectory without
       further collision directly to the point detector".

I didn't see in your definition any mention of the fact that the "trajectory
without further collision directly to the point detector" is NOT the actual
trajectory of the particle, a point that I have stressed above by putting the
relevant text in upper case. And since you seemed to be interested in electrons
and not in neutrons or gammas, your definition seemed to me to coincide with
what is called "range rejection" in electron transport codes such as EGS.
Notice that the next event estimator can only be applied to neutrons and
gammas, as it is correctly stated in the GAMOS manual. Also in the two papers
you quote, that estimator is used for gammas but not for electrons.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025