Re: Insufficient space for allocation in blank common

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:31:39 +0100 (CET)

Dear Monica,
the available memory space for scoring is 360MB. With a 300x300x300 mesh
the occupancy is 216MB, still below but near.
The overall memory allocation is hard-wired in the library, you have no
possibility to change it. However, my suggestion would be to stick to the
approach you had at the beginning, a fine mesh where the distibutions aare
narrow, a coarse mesh covering tethe rest. Otherwise, the problem would be
not only memory, but also statistics, the "external" thin bins will never
be filled!

Regards
Paola

> Dear fluka users,
>
> We are trying to simulate a target room for radiobiological studies with a
> beam line and with concrete walls and an outside room. We have tried to
> compare two different calculations of the same problem but we are
> obtaining
> different results:
>
> 1.
>
> The proton flux in the whole assembly (10x6x6 meters, 250 bins in
> x,y,z)
> 2.
>
> The proton flux just in the vicinity of the beam window (45x40x40 cm,
> 250 bins in x,y,z)
>
> While 1 offers maximum values of 10E7 protons/cm2·s, 2 offers maximum
> values of 10E9 protons/cm·s. We have assumed that this contradiction is
> due
> to poor accuracy in 1 (not enough bins). However, when trying to run more
> than 300 bins in x, y and z the following error appears:
>
> ******* Stopped in usrbin: insufficient space for allocation in blank
> common *******
>
> We tracked down the problem and found that this message is generated
> inside libflukahp.a (more precisely, usrbin.o). The question is then if a
> modification of the library is required or if it can be fixed changing
> some
> src code in the flutil package
>
> We would be really grateful if someone could advise us about that.
>
> Thank you for your time
>
> Monica
>

> --
>
> Mónica Huerta Parajón