RE: Thermal analysis of power deposited in a beam dump - using info from usrbin

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 15:40:51 +0000

Dear Mina,

In order to perform a thermo-mechanical analysis in ANSYS, it seems to be perfectly possible to use *3D* energy density data from USRBINs. Talking to one of our ANSYS experts, there appears however to be no out-of-the box solution to directly import the data, but one needs to write a custom-made script within ANSYS.

To me it seems that loading 2D maps is not the preferred method if dealing with a 3D problem (except if your problem includes some symmetry which basically reduces it to a 2D one, e.g. a round beam impacting on a cylinder).

Cheers, Anton