Re: O-16(gamma, alpha)C-12 and N-14(gamma,p)C-13 cross sections below 9MeV

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 02:40:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi George,

for photonuclear reactions, FLUKA uses only TOTAL cross sections: it uses them
to determine the point of interaction. The interaction is simulated by one or
more models ("event generators"): evaporation, pre-equilibrium, Fermi breakup,
etc.) The particular partial reaction, in your case (gamma,p) or
(gamma, alpha), is the result of the event generator, not the input to it.
So, to answer your first question: what you find with your "experiment" are not
the cross-sections "used" by FLUKA, but the cross sections "calculated" by
FLUKA. The only cross sections used are the total ones (gamma,n + gamma,p +
gamma,alpha, + gamma,2n + gamma,pn,....)

In answer to your second question, if those cross sections significantly differ
from the experimental data (I hope not!) the only way to change your results
would be to change the models, which is obviously impossible. There are no
partial cross sections available in the code, so none that can be changed.

You can still calculate photon energy spectra, and fold them with the
cross sections you prefer, but I don't think that this is what you are
looking for.

Alberto