Re: Regions with USRBIN (pixel hits)

From: Stefan Sellner <Stefan.Sellner_at_mpi-hd.mpg.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 09:52:38 +0200

Dear Daniel,

I had a similar issue in my simulations. My solution was to use a USRBIN
grid at the position of the detector's sensitive area, with the size and
the number of bins set to mimick the detector pixel sizes. You can
either score ENERGY deposition to the USRBIN detector or ALL-CHARged to
make it react on any signal produced by charged particles. Of course,
you can play around to simulate only events due to protons or other
particles by selecting another particle type or by adding a filter with
AUXSCORE.

In my case the key to make this work is to not simulate too many primary
particles, such that the coverage of the USRBIN detector is still very
sparse (I needed to identify distinct tracks on the detector). To gain
enough statistics, I repeated the simulation many times.

The results of the simulations will be "too detailed" as you will get
the energy deposited or the fluence per primary simulated particle, and
you are only interested in hit/no hit. But after simulation, you can use
a simple zero/non-zero check of each bin in your data analysis to get
your wanted result, possibly even considering a minimum threshold for
the pixel to be activated.

Best regards
Stefan