Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to determine the fraction of deposited energy going into ith scintillation photon emission in the "OPT-PROD" card?

From: paola sala <paola.sala_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 10:26:45 +0100

Dear Joe,
you say that having to input the experimental observed N_ph/MeV may not
be correct. But somehow the code needs to know what is the light yield.
If there are reliable theoretical calculations for the material
concerned, the fluka user can perfectly input theoretical values instead
of experimental ones. On the other hands, as Anna said, we have to
understand if photon yields available in the literature are corrected
for all the effect you mention, that are strictly detector dependent. We
have no universal recipe for light production, if you are aware of some
possible general prescription it would be very interesting!

For what concerns Birks, again it depends on how the light yield was
measured. If the yield was measured for minimum ionising particles, than
it does not include (or includes as a small contribution) the
recombination. Again, it is up to the user to understand these data, and
above all it his its responsibility to understand his own detector.

Ciao
Paola