Re: [fluka-discuss]: Interpretation of cross section and yield from USRYIELD

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 10:23:59 -0800 (PST)

Dear Chenyen,

Of all possible combinations of:
- projectile;
- energy;
- target; and
- ejectile(s),
cross sections are either:
#1 measured already (data end up in EXFOR);
and/or
#2 predicted via models (TENDL being the most proliferative, but I think not
even TENDL authors tell users to belief the whole lot in blind faith).

In many cases #1 is simply not available due to various difficulties eg beams
which are not available in standard facilities, or energy-target combinations
which can be killers in funding proposals.

Evaluated libraries (ENDFB, JENDL, JEFF, ...) are the results of curation based
on both #1 and #2. Evaluators fill in the gaps by way of #2. O18, in particular,
is present in ROSFOND but not in the more widely known evaluated libraries.

FLUKA too, implements cross-sections to the best endeavour, based on #1 where
available, substantially complemented by models which are signature of FLUKA and
which FLUKA developers take pride in :)

The smart and normal way to know the kinds of reaction in FLUKA is to run the
simulations, explore and admire the beauty!

:) mary