Re: [fluka-discuss]: activate radioactive decays

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:50:12 +0100

Dear Shirley,

yes, RADDECAY asking for semi-analogue decay of nuclear residues, together
with the implementation of a customized usdraw scoring, look like a viable
approach for your event-by-event analysis.

> If so, what's the ICODE for radioactive decay and does the decaying isotope
> have a corresponding JTRACK value? If not, what's the right way to do this?

As written in the USDRAW header, the radioactive decay code is 110.
Despite the fact that you asked for ion transport, the decaying isotope
will hardly be above the transport threshold (you are taking the default
value of 25keV/n, which in principle can be lowered by a factor 100 with a
PART-THR card setting the 4-HELIUM threshold to the minimum value of 1keV)
and anyway their decay will be performed only once they are at rest (no
in-flight radioactive decay is yet available).
In USDRAW, under the proper ICODE condition, you can identify the isotope
at the origin of the decay chain (Z->ICHTAR,A->IBTAR, after inclusion of
the (RESNUC) common) and the emitted radiation (looping over the NP
secondaries stored in (GENSTK)). In case of subsequent decays, the
INFEXT(IP=1,NP) variable identifies the respective parent nucleus, coded
as (A + Z * 1000) (+ 1000000 in case of isomers).

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI