Re: [fluka-discuss]: Usimbs routine help ?

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:05:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi Benjaminas,

I didn't find usimbs.f in the link you provided but that's probably not
necessary anyway. A few basic principles:

- the simplest way to do importance biasing is to assign the importance as
WHAT(3) in the BIASING card, without any user routines;

- whether we do importance biasing via BIASING WHAT(3), usimbs.f or ubsset.f, we
always do a dry run first (eg. with START WHAT(1)=10.) to generate a .out so
that we can inspect 2 tables:
"Particle transport thresholds:" and
"Region        Particle   importances"
to verify that our intended importance values have been successfully parsed.

- the following confirm that biasing (importance and other techniques) has
indeed been at work:
1) towards the end of .out:
  "Total number of inelastic interactions (stars)" should be noticeably larger
than
  "Total weight of the inelastic interactions (stars)"
2) also towards the end of .out:
  "Total number of elastic interactions" should be noticeably larger than
  "Total weight of the elastic interactions:"
3) in mgdraw.f (not necessary to check this under normal circumstances) WTRACK
should sometimes have values <1.

"GeV missing" is no cause for worry. Please refer to:
http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=faq&sub=10

An extra note: "it seems to work and no errors" is not the recommended way to do
Monte Carlo ;)

:) mary