Re: [fluka-discuss]: how to turn off ionization

From: Shirley Li <shirleyli.phys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 14:12:09 -0500

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for your reply!

I'm studying the properties of E&M showers. For example, I have a 10 GeV
gamma initiated shower, and I plotted the track length of gammas and
electrons (with USRTRACK card) as a function of energy. And I got a nice
~1/E^2 behavior. But, from a simple E&M shower model (1 gamma pair produce
to 2 e, 1 e Bremsstrahlung to 1 e + 1 gamma, all particles travel one
interaction length before they split to more particles), the track length
should go as 1/E. I wanted to see if there is a simple explanation to the
extra 1/E power. My first guess is ionization of the electrons. That's
why I wanted to turn the ionization loss off, and to see if I get track
length scale as 1/E...

Best,
Shirley