[fluka-discuss]: coincidence scoring

From: Philippe Velten <Philippe.Velten_at_fys.kuleuven.be>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 16:05:01 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts,

I would need some advanced coincidence scoring capabilities to simulate a beta-gamma spectroscopy setup.
More precisely, I would like to score energy deposition in one detector (beta signal in the beta detector) at the condition that a delayed gamma ray is detected in an other detector (e.g. a energy deposition with a 2 sided energy selection).
I don't think this kind of feature is possible with the available DETECT card and its coincidence capabilities but please correct me if I am wrong.
It seems that currently the designated "trigger" must arrive BEFORE the "detector" signal. In my case, I could switch my trigger and signal, e.g. consider that the beta signal is the trigger and the gamma signal is the detector and this way I would get a coincidence count, but then no beta spectrum...

I guess I could use the mgdraw routines to build a custom scoring from scratch but I would like to use built-in scoring and data processing capabilities of FLUKA as much as possible.
So please could you tell me if there is a way to implement such coincidence capabilities with minimal addition?

A possibility would be a routine called at the end of each event (usreou.f for example) but with access to the energy deposited in the volumes designated as "detector" and "trigger" with the DETECT card and with the possibility to assign null weight to some of those scoring under some conditions.
In my case, give a null weight to the energy deposition in the beta detector if the energy deposited in the gamma detector doesn't corresponds to the the gamma ray energy.

Best regards,
Philippe