Re: [fluka-discuss]: minimum irradiation time in IRRPROFI card?

From: Alberto Fasso <fasso_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 14:55:22 +0200

Hi Tristan,

the actual length of the pulse doesn't matter if it is much shorter than
the half-life of the resulting radionuclides of interest. If this is the
case, all activities are simply proportional to the total number of
protons.
For a radionuclide with a half-life of the same order as the time duration
of the pulse (or shorter) of course saturation occurs, which does depend
on the pulse length. But I think it is unlikely that you are interested in
activities with a half-life of the order of a microsecond! (probably you
wouldn't even be able to measure them...)
So yes, it is reasonable to assume your pulse lasted one second, provided
you ignore all resulting activities having a half-life shorter than, say 1/10
of a second.

Alberto