Re: [fluka-discuss]: cosmic ray at sea level

From: Giuseppe Battistoni <giuseppe.battistoni_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:40:22 +0200

It depends on the level of approximation that you can tolerate.
If you need muons at low energy, as one can have normally in our labs,
one can implement the sampling
of the analytical spectrum of the paper:
A. Dar, Phys. Rev. Lett. 51 no.3 (1983) 227
which is quite satisfactory and provides a reasonable angular distribution
at low energy, which is quite different from that achieved at high energy
and that you can find usually in text books.

However you must pay attention:
it's not trivial to implement the sampling of the
formulas contained there

Furthermore, in a lab situation you are dominated by the low energy muons
whose spectrum and angle
might be further modified by other factors (the building walls and roof...)
Once again: everything depends on the level of approximantion that you
can tolerate.

        All the best
                Giuseppe

--