Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to calculate LET(linear energy transfer) with voxel-by-voxel basis

From: Dr. Vittorio Boccone <dr.vittorio.boccone_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:31:49 +0200

Dear Kyung-Nam Lee,
  I assume you already went through the manual Section 13.2.2
> First of all, I hope to ask when the routine(comscw.f) is called
> specifically.
> I mean scoring time, namely, whether the routine is called after end of
> "event" or end of "each interaction" or not.
> Is it depend on used scoring command(e.g. USRBIN, USRYIELD, USRBDX) ??

You enable the comsw routine with from the WHAT(6) of USERWEIG.
It's as a matter of fact a weighting factor which is calculated at
scoring time per each deposition step and modifies directly the value
scored with USRBIN etc...

> Also, I would like to ask how can I get the deq99.f(user routine for calc.
> of effective dose) file.
> I could not download the file at this
> link(http://info-fluka-discussion.web.cern.ch/info-fluka-discussion/download
> /deq99c.f)
> So, could you attach this file when you reply ?
Effective dose is now calculated by default using the AUXSCORE card. We
will correct the manual to removed the part mentioning of the usage of
the deq99.f routine which is at the moment strongly deprecated.

> Because I am a beginner for modifying user routines, It will be great help
> for me if I understand the contents of the file.
> Then, I can know how to calculate LET by using useful "COMMON variable". In addition, I would like to actively listen to any kind of your advice about calculating Dose Averaged LET(my final goal in this process) with
> FLUKA user routine.
I think you can just score the LET with USRYIELD and you don't really
need to recalculate it (unless you need to do it on purpose).
Please check
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/6829.html
and the other LET related question on the forum, they might give you
more answers and clarify a bit the LET scoring option you have.
> I am looking forward to your generous reply.
It might not have been a very generous reply... but I hope it clarifies
a bit the scoring of the LETs
Vittorio