Re: [fluka-discuss]: Help needed for thermal neutrons detection via LIF converter

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 16:25:43 +0200

Dear Jamil,

in principle the answer to your second question is yes, and the reason for
your lithium failure is your missed compliance with what is indicated in
the manual, LOW-NEUT card, Note 5:

"In the case of 6-Li, in order to get the *pointwise* treatment [which is
what you need in order to have charged secondaries explicitly generated]
it is mandatory to define the respective monoisotopic material through a
MATERIAL card and name it LITHIU-6".

Pay attention to the fact that this implies to properly fill the WHAT(6)
[not WHAT(2)] of the MATERIAL card (A=6, not Am=6). The presence of 7-Li
requires to define in addition LITHIU-7 and then a Li COMPOUND properly
combining the two.
You defined instead natural Li and assigned to it the 6-Li cross sections
(for *groupwise* treatment), which makes no sense. (And you adopted the
same wrong procedure for Boron, where you perhaps intended to define 10-B
but did a classical mistake putting the mass number in the wrong field
(WHAT(2), that must remain empty)).

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti