RE: [fluka-discuss]: Dose, Beta emitter and Prompt gamma calculations

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 10:39:22 +0000

Dear Metin,

It is correct that you need to use the DELTARAY card (with SDUM=PRINT) to print out the electronic stopping powers of protons.

Now to your input files: when you write that you are not sure about the accuracy of the input files, I suppose you mean you are not sure about the physics setting (and other settings). First of all, a minimum test could be to run the input files, then you would already see that the program crashes (due to different reasons).
*) The first reason for the crashes are that you use non-standard names for your materials, hence they cannot be associated with the relevant neutron libraries (in several material names you use a small "i" instead of a capital "I" --> note that names are case-sensitive; if you fix this, then it runs fine).
*) Secondly, in some input files a constituent name is missing in the material LUNG definition, even though the fraction is there (-0.00073)
*) The USRYIELD scorings are wrongly defined (some entries are missing and they lack a continuation card)

Here are some further comments concerning your individual files:
1) Dose:
*) It is fine to use HADROTHE as defaults
*) You define a 100 GeV proton beam: I suppose you want a 100 MeV one, like in the other files
*) It is not recommended to set the atomic mass when defining an elemental material (FLUKA determines the mass internally)
*) I saw that you redefine the ionisation potential and the Sternheimer parameters: just a word of caution, this is only recommended for experts
*) PHYSICS with SDUM=DEDX-SET is an option only used for development, hence you should remove this line
*) It is not necessary to change the threshold for the peanut model to 5 GeV, this is already the default
*) There are ROTPRBIN and ROT-DEFI cards defined, but they are useless in your case
*) The SCORE card is rather outdated; in case you want to score quantities "per region", I would recommend rather to use the corresponding USRBIN implementation (in particular, then you can calculate easily the standard deviation across different cycles)

2) Beta emitters:
*) Where applicable, the same comments as above apply
*) Besides evaporation, you should also activate coalescence with the PHYSICS card
*) Your RESNUCLE card lacks the correct region (for the moment the residual nuclei are calculated in region 1, which is BLKBODY). Note: RESNUCLE will you only give the number of isotopes per region. However, if you want also the spatial distribution of a certain isotope within a region, you need to go via the USRRNC routine.
*) Both the USRYIELD and AUXSCORE definitions are incomplete (and incompatible), however I don't know you what you intend to do. When providing an input file, please always try to be specific in your Email to the FLUKA list what you want to do.

3) Prompt gamma:
*) Where applicable, the same comments as for "Dose" apply
*) You are setting the production threshold for photons to 1 MeV. Why?
*) You don't need the IRRPROFI, DCYSCORE, DCYTIMES cards
*) You use TIME-CUT, but I suppose you want to apply a time cutoff for scoring? In that case rather use TCQUENCH.
*) General comment: you simply use a USRBIN scoring to score the photon fluence. Evidently, photons can be created by different kinds of interactions (e.g. inelastic collisions, bremsstrahlung, low-energy neutron interactions), with different spatial and time characteristics. The USRBIN contains the overall fluence (with time cut-off if you use TCQUENCH). However, if you are rather interested in more details (e.g. intercepting photons created in different processes and at different times), you may want to consider to use the MGDRAW routine.

Cheers, Anton