Re: [fluka-discuss]: requirement programes in fluka package

From: Vittorio Boccone <dr.vittorio.boccone_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:28:39 +0100

Hi Jeffrey,
   well the iso is not only for VM but can also be burned on a usb stick or
a disk.

An other excellent alternative to VMs I'm using since a few months (not
only to run FLUKA) are Docker containers (https://www.docker.com/),
which are substituting those days VirtualMachines with Containers for many
applications.

The benefits of having a Contained instead of a Virtual Machine are
multiple. No booting time, no misuse of the memory, no useless processes
running on your system. Just it flushes away the necessity of the
Virtualization environment overhead, and - provided that you have a recent
Linux system - it allow you to run FLUKA directly on an isolated container
with the distribution of your choice on your Linux box/server/laptop.

There's not yet a recipes for running FLUKA on a container, although it's
as easy as running few commands.
If there are people interested I can produce a simple how to.

Best,
V.