RE: [fluka-discuss]: Heavy-Ions, validity

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:04:06 +0100

Dear Vera,

heavy ion transport in FLUKA includes both electronic and nuclear stopping
power and, as far as energy deposition is concerned, I do not see matter
of concern, provided that transport threshold (which can be lowered down
to 250 eV/A) and delta ray threshold are properly set wrt the requested
scoring resolution.

BME (which deals with nuclear reactions, not nuclear stopping power) is
less relevant to energy deposition than to activation, for which it
clearly plays a major role. I have the impression you misunderstood the
mentioned limits: 150 MeV/A is the *upper* limit for BME, which is applied
by default below 125 MeV/A, down to the Coulomb barrier. I think we miss
specific benchmark for products of uranium beams below 50 MeV/A, but in
principle the code is designed to treat them. You are encouraged to use it
and report any issue you may find.

Cheers
Francesco

Francesco Cerutti