Re: [fluka-discuss]: Approval of simulation

From: Vittorio Boccone <dr.vittorio.boccone_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 22:25:24 +0200

Dear Helga,
 It depends. I don't know in detail about of your particular application
but I guess citing the *FLUKA Single-User License *(as reported on the
website and in the package) bring you some light on the subject. There are
a lot of cut in the text and I suggest you to read the full version
available in the package or on the website.

If you are still not sure, you can contact the Authors or *Fluka Scientific
Committee* <fsc_at_pcfluka.mi.infn.it> with a description of your work.

About what you can do w/o any restrictions

> [....] Note that there are no restrictions in comparing the projections
> of FLUKA against the projections of similar codes employed for the primary
> purpose of assisting in the evaluation of that experiment or situation, and
> no restrictions under the License Agreement regarding publication of the
> results obtained with the FLUKA code. [....]

About what *is not *in the
*FLUKA Single-User License:*

> When the FLUKA code is employed to simulate a reference experiment [...],
> for the PRIMARY PURPOSE of evaluating the performances of FLUKA, and/or
> comparing the predictions of various codes such as FLUKA with respect to
> one and other, this is termed "Benchmarking" in the License Agreement, and
> it is a manifestly disallowed use of the code without prior written
> permission from the authors. [...]
>

> EXAMPLES:
>
> - Any code intercomparison exercise sponsored by institutions /
> conferences, and/or aimed at publication in a scientific magazine etc.
> - Comparison of FLUKA results with particle production data from thin
> target experiments
> - Comparison of FLUKA results with data on ion beam fragmentation in
> thin or thick targets
> - Evaluation of the FLUKA performances on the reproduction of
> experimental data on ionization and range of charged particles
> - Calculation of cross sections, total or differential, that are then
> used an a different MonteCarlo code to determine mean free paths and/or
> reaction kinematics.
> - Coupling of the whole FLUKA or parts of it with other codes, for
> instance to use FLUKA as an hadron interaction generator for a different
> transport code. Note that it instead allowed to write a dump file from
> FLUKA and use it as a source for further processing.

Best,
Vittorio