Re: [fluka-discuss]: Interactions with a nucleon

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 05:31:05 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Mohammad,

I don't agree that the manual is ambiguous about this issue.
Note 3) of command USRYIELD says:

          3) Point-target yields, i.e. yields of particles emerging from
             inelastic hadronic interactions with single nuclei (including
             hadronic interactions by ions and real or virtual photons), are
             scored by setting WHAT(4) = -1.0 and WHAT(5) = -2.0 in the first
             USRYIELD card. As an alternative, the corresponding cross sections
             can be calculated, depending on the value of WHAT(6).

The manual clearly specifies "interactions with single nuclei". A proton is a
single nucleus (a hydrogen nucleus) and USRYIELD can indeed calculate its cross
section.
But a neutron is NOT a nucleus.

If what you have in mind is "interacting with a nucleon inside a nucleus", that
nucleon, again, is not a nucleus, and you cannot calculate its cross section.

More in general, when particles are transported in FLUKA, they interact with
whole nuclei, not with nucleons inside them. Of course, something happens
inside the nucleus (intranuclear cascade, evaporation, pre-equilibrium, etc.)
but all that is governed by the FLUKA nuclear models, and is not accessible
to the user.

Alberto