Re: [fluka-discuss]: Print photon xsections

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:04:52 +0200

Dear Gabriel,

the code is not designed to extract exclusive cross sections. Low energy
neutrons are an exception, since their special multigroup transport is
based on a dedicated data library. For all the rest, FLUKA uses its own
physics models. For instance, in case of photonuclear reactions the code
determines the reaction cross section (giving the probability that a
photon of a certain energy experiences a nuclear interaction in a certain
material) from experimental information [and from a model for a specific
fraction of the photon energy range], but then the reaction outcome
(neutron rather than proton production) is calculated by the relevant
nuclear interaction models. Analogously, Compton scattering is explicitly
modelled and not just reflecting bank-stored information.

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI