RE: [fluka-discuss]: How to find kinetic energy of particle after degrader?

From: Helga Holmestad <helga.holmestad_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:34:11 +0000

Thanks a lot for the two answers. I have now tried to use both the USRTRACK and modifying the BXDRAW in mgdraw.f. I have tried to run the program with 10 primary particles, what is strange is that I always get the same energy loss in my degrader. I am of course expecting to get a distribution. I guess I am doing something wrong with the seed to the random generator. I have attached the inputfile and I am running the program with the command: $FLUPRO/flutil/rfluka -e exe -N0 -M1 exam2.inp Dear Helga, I think you can just simply define a very small region behind your degrader and use and USRTRACK score for this region. Or you can use USRBDX to score the energy of your particle go from your degrader region to outside region. Kind. ND TRINH, GANIL, France ________________________________________ From: Giuseppe Battistoni [giuseppe.battistoni_at_mi.infn.it] Sent: 18 January 2016 15:39 To: Helga Holmestad; fluka-discuss_at_fluka.org Subject: Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to find kinetic energy of particle after degrader? Dear Helga the simplest solution is actually a pre-defined scoring: you should make use of a USRBDX to score the energy distribution of protons at the boundary between the degrader and a further downstream region that you can easily define. One-way current of fluence scoring. About of mgdraw: the us of USDRAW is in any case a wrong choice, since it gives you access to what occurred in an interaction inside the degrader region, but the energy loss in the material before exiting the degrader has not yet been taken into account. The correct entry point in mgdraw.f would be BXDRAW at the boundary that is of your interest, as the one I mentioned before, but this would eventually give the same results of USRBDX. Giuseppe Battistoni On 18/01/16 15:06, Helga Holmestad wrote: > Dear FLUKA experts > > I have a simple setup in my simulation, a beam of 5.3 MeV protons is in > vacuum and is sent trough a 50 um aliminium degrader. I need to know the > energy of the particles after it has passed the degrader. I don't see > any predefined scoring options for this, or is there? Or do I need to > use the collision tape? > > > I have attempted to write my own mgdraw and using the USDRAW routine for > this. The variable tki(i) should give the energy of the particle. But > the USDRAW function is never called in my simulation, because it looks > like energy loss is not considered as an interaction. > > -- INFN Milano via Celoria 16, 20133 Milano tel: +39 02 50317307 fax: +39 02 50317617