Re: [fluka-discuss]: scoring GCR

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 15:13:04 +0100

Dear Roman

the statistical error depends on the number of particles scored. Heavy
ions are much less abundant than protons, thus the statistical error is
larger. If you want the same statistical accuracy, you can run separate
runs for different Z-intervals.
About energy limits: the primary spectra are given, and sampled, as a
function of the total energy, not of the energy per nucleon. Again,
different runs can set different energy limits.
Regards
Paola
> dear Fluka experts,
>

> I am scoring GCR using SPECSOUR (with GCR-IONF) and GCR-SPE (with NO-NORM)
> as a source and for detectors I am using USRBDX with AUXSCORE for heavy
> ions.
>
> First of all, what I noticed in the result is that the error or
> uncertainty increases with the ion weight. For example Hydrogen has almost
> no error while Iron's error is quite large:
>
> [cid:ded5c977-23bd-44e4-9363-6b3c2e0c08ee]
>

> I used same exact settings for all ions.
>

> Second, the scope of the energy range along which the ions are being
> scored shrinks as mass of the ion increases. For example, Hydrogen is span
> from 1 MeV/amu all the way to 1e6 MeV/amu while Iron is only span to about
> 20,000 MeV/amu.
>
> Can someone explain why these two things happen and if anything can be
> done except increasing number of primaries?
>

> thank you,
>

> Roman

Paola Sala
INFN Milano