RE: [fluka-discuss]: Simulation of coincidence summing effects in HPGe efficiency calibration

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 09:16:54 +0000

Hi Andrea

One first comment which is not directly related to your problem concerns the definition of the geometry. Your first region does not need to be defined using 60 zones but can simply be done with the following three:

regAIR2 5 | +world -det_out -source
                 | +det_out +world +al_end
                 | +det_out +world -zero -source

Otherwise, your approach seems correct. I also checked with Co-60 and could reproduce with FLUKA the summing peak at 2.5 MeV. I think therefore that it should work for other radionuclides with more complicated decay scheme.

Otherwise my question is how do you compare the simulation with the experiment. I would say that in real life, the summing effect in the detector are not necessarily coming from the same radionuclide decay while in the simulation the response is the averaged behaviour of a single decay ?

Greetings
Joachim