[fluka-discuss]: PHYSICS of the photon beam from the madical linear accelerator

From: Karolina Kokurewicz <karolina.kokurewicz_at_strath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 15:17:00 +0000

Dear FLUKA Experts,

I would like to simulate 10-15 MeV photon beam from the medical linear accelerator. Literally, I would like to reproduce all features typical for the photon beam from the medical LINAC. In the FLUKA manual I found three extra cards to be added, these are:

1. POLARIZA - it is used to set polarisation. What pcosx, pcosy and pcosz should be in this case (assuming that photons propagate along z)?

2. PHOTONUC with Type: ELECTNUC (used together with LAM-BIAS)- it is used to activate photonuclear interactions. What kind of photonuclear interactions should I include in this card for 10-15 MeV photon beam, if most of them have extremely small cross section below 10 MeV?

3. PHOTONUC with Type: MUMUPAIR - it is used to activate photomuon production. Should I include this card if I'm using PRECISIO settings?

Is this everything what I need for the photon beam from the medical LINAC?

Is there maybe any FLUKA example of the photon beam from the medical LINAC?

I appreciate your help,

Karolina