[fluka-discuss]: RE: PHYSICS of the photon beam from the madical linear accelerator

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 18:31:11 +0000

Dear Karolina,

1. You would only need to set this card if your beam would be polarized (not in your case).

2. Actually, you activate photonuclear interactions if you let SDUM blank on the PHOTONUC card, with SDUM=ELECTNUC you activate electro-nuclear interactions. Photonuclear interactions are relevant if you are for example interested in the produced neutrons (e.g. in the linac head, or linac collimator). Neutrons can be the reason for secondary cancer induction, and they can be relevant for shielding calculations (neutron production occurs for photon energies above ~7-8 MeV and there are resonances (GDR)). The cross-section for electro-nuclear interactions is much smaller, hence less relevant.

3. Not relevant in your case (only at very high energies).

Cheers, Anton