Re: [fluka-discuss]: Bragg Peak Carbon

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 23:08:21 +0100

Hi Araceli,

here it's not about missing cards. The default PRECISIOn thresholds are
already pretty OK to see the Bragg peak by the LINAC4 beam.

Your problems are concentrated in the scoring card.

First, you did not make a plot of ENERGY deposition, rather of PROTON
fluence (where no Bragg peak is expected, rather an abrupt fall at the
range limit).

Second, you limited your scoring to a transverse distance of 1mm from the
beam axis. This way, with your ideal pencil beam (i.e. starting with null
transverse size and no divergence), you will never see the expected Bragg
peak, since the incident beam is then enlarged by multiple scattering as
it penetrates matter. This is something everybody wishing to obtain a
Bragg peak shall well bear in mind (it's not about technicalities, it's
about basic physics concepts, as in the first exercise proposed at the
advanced course). Once the USRBIN grid covers a suitably large transverse
area, one shall still average (or integrate) the energy density over that
area [1D Projection in Flair language], and NOT extract the peak value out
of it [1D Max]. Of course, if one is interested instead in the max energy
density for stress/temperature analysis, the peak profile - though not
displaying the canonical Bragg peak - remains relevant.

Finally, in case of a Cartesian mesh, the choice of an even number of bins
in the transverse dimensions (x&y) is wrong, since the beam axis (z) turns
out to lie exactly on the bin boundary and the scored values miss the beam
center, which is shared among four bins rather than belonging to a single
central bin.

Cheers

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti