Re: [fluka-discuss]: RULL variable in ENDRAW (mgdraw) to score gamma energy deposition

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 15:53:46 +0800

Dear Riccardo and Anna,

Indeed this can give you the *total* energy deposition within regions
you specify, large enough wrt step size. That is, if you don't care how
energy deposition is distributed and you are not worried about stepsize
artefacts. As pointed out earlier: apportioning and QA! You may resort
to coding regions according to scoring needs (as you have shown) of
course.

Such instructions put FLUKA back to prehistoric state, undoing the good
job of code development back in 1990 -- a feat users shouldn't take for
granted. Other codes dealt with apportioning a decade later.

Quoting FLUKA manual:
  17.18 Scoring. The stress put on built-in generalised scoring options
is another aspect of FLUKA "philosophy" which differentiates it from
many other programs where users are supposed to write their own ad-hoc
scoring routines for each problem. This characteristics, which was
already typical of the old Ranft codes, has allowed to develop in the
modern FLUKA some rather sophisticated scoring algorithms that would
have been too complex for a generic user to program. For instance the
"track-length apportioning" technique, introduced in 1990 by Fasso' and
Ferrari, used in dose and fluence binning, which computes the exact
length of segment travelled by the particle in each bin of a geometry
independent grid. This technique ensures fast convergence even when the
scoring mesh is much smaller than the charged particle step.

Not only accuracy but also efficiency. Running an electron problem with
USERDUMP WHAT(3)=0, calling at every single step whether it contributes
to the score or not... undo all the optimisation code developers took
pains to implement. Do a tic-toc and see -- please do share your tic-toc
results with the community.

BTW ERULLO doesn't look like any 3D array for event-by-event scoring.
I'm lost! The lines of codes you circulated offer no clue why built-in
scoring cannot be used.

:) mary