Re: PEMF question

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 18:26:31 CEST

    Giuseppe's answer is correct, but I would like to answer more directly
    the questions asked by Katherine.

    > > In using the EMF option can elements be defined with each element name
    > > also being in the file generated by the PEMF preprocessor and then can
    > > these elements be combined in a COMPOUND card and then linked with a
    > > MATERIAL card?

    No. In the present version of FLUKA, the COMPOUND command is used
    to prepare cross sections for hadrons and muons, but not for electrons and
    photons. (As Giuseppe said, it will be different in the next release).
    For electrons and photons, the "mixing" is done by PEMF via the commands
    COMP or MIXT in the .peg input file. The link to the FLUKA input file
    is done by the material name, which must be the same in in the .peg file
    and in the corresponding MATERIAL card.

    > > Or should one run the preprocessor for a mixture with the same name as
    > > the final MATERIAL card just using the total number of atoms for each
    > > element in the mixture of gasses.

    Yes. It is the user's responsibility to figure out the total number of
    atoms for each element.

    > > Or what is the proper way to use the EMF option with mixtures of gasses
    > > that are both element and compounds.

    For instance, let's suppose that you have a mixture of
    air, CO2 and water vapour, with weight proportions respectively A, B and C.
    You must declare a MIXT where the proportion of Oxygen is the weighted
    sum of that present in the 3 gases:

    A/(A+B+C) in air
    B*2*16/(12+2*16)/(A+B+C) in CO2 (2 Oxygen atoms of atomic weight 16 in a
                             molecule of molecular weight 12+2*16)
    C*16/(2*1+16)/(A+B+C) in H2O (1 Oxygen atom of atomic weight 16 in a molecule
                             of molecular weight 18)

    ==> A/(A+B+C) + B*2*16/(12+2*16)/(A+B+C) + C*16/(2*1+16)/(A+B+C)
        (I hope I did it right :-)

    Even when PEMF will have disappeared, it will be necessary to do the
    above exercise in the FLUKA input with the COMPOUND command. In principle
    it is possible to define a COMPOUND recursively ("compound of compounds"),
    but there are some restrictions in the normalization, and I always
    prefer to calculate the various fractions by hand myself.

    Alberto

    --
    Alberto Fassò
    SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025