RE: Photoneutron Yield

From: Mario Santana Leitner (Mario.Santana@cern.ch)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 18:57:02 CET

    Hi,

    I didn't fully understand your issue. Anyway, here is what I know about the angular distribution of photoneutrons.
    - If the neutrons come exclusively from evaporations then you should find an isotropic distribution.
    - Fast direct photohadrons are observed with a peak at 90\deg
    - Typically neutrons below 2.5 MeV should be almost isotropic.
    - For energies below about 50 MeV the dipolar absorption is the only direct mechanism and thus the angular spectrum is symmetric around 90\deg
    - For higher energies multipolar absorptions take place and the peak shifts towards a smaller angle, e.g. 60\deg
    - Some references:
      *) Gordon S. Mutchler. "The Angular Distributions and Energy Spectra of Photoneutrons from Heavy Elements." Requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. February 1996.
      *) G. A. Price and D. W. Kerst. "Yields and Angular Distributions of some Gama-Neutron Processes." Physical Review 77(6), March 1950
      *) H.L. Poss. "Note on Angular Asymmetries in (gamma,n) Reactions." Health Physics 70 (1950)
      *) G.C. Reinhard and W.D. Whitehead. "Angular Distribution of Fast Photoneutrons." Nuclear Physics 30 pp 201-214 (1962).
      *) http://msantana.home.cern.ch/msantana/Proyecto/MEMORIA/Capitulo9.pdf

    hope this helps

    Mario