RE: Thermal and epithermal neutrons--more questions

From: Francesco Cerutti (Francesco.Cerutti@cern.ch)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 15:09:41 CEST

    Dear Alfred,

    your material definitions look OK.

    > Here is my question: Does the LOW-MAT card replace the high energy
    > neutron scattering cross section with the thermal neutron cross section
    > indiscriminantly without respect to neutron energy?

    Not at all.
    You can look in the output file at the used cross sections printing them
    through the LOW-NEUT card (you will see that differences - far from
    being dramatic - appear only for the last 15 groups and are above 1% only
    for the last two).

    > What I have found is that (1) neutron track length in the
    > low-mat case is 5 times higher than the free case and that (2) the
    > residual nuclei production in the low mat case is about 40 times lower
    > than the free case.

    Where, i.e. in which materials (residual nuclei production in hydrogen?),
    and with which statistics?
    For further help, please send the input file and the possible accessory
    files.

    Greetings

    Francesco

    Francesco Cerutti