Re: [fluka-discuss]: estimation of total dose-eq in each region?

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 20:29:36 +0200

Dear Hamed,
      with the USRBIN card it is possible to score the dose equivalent
by region in two ways, depending on the particles that you are
interested in:

- with the generalized particle DOSE-EQ (particle number 240)
FLUKA calculates for each region the particle fluence weighted by
various sets of conversion coefficients that depend both on the organ
and on the radiation type. These coefficients are available only
for neutrons, protons, charged pions, muons, photons and electrons.
You can also choose among different options with the AUXSCORE card,
as explained in the manual. The result is in picoSieverts per primary.

- with the generalized particle DOSEQLET (particle number 243) FLUKA
calculates the dose equivalent as deļ¬ned by ICRU: H = D x Q(L), where
L is the unrestricted Linear Energy Transfer in water, for particles
for which conversion coefficients are not available, typically heavy
ions. In this case the units are GeV/g per primary times the quality
factor Q(LET).

So the choice depends on the particles you are scoring and the best
way is to try both scorers in your geometry and to inspect the results.

Also note that, for region-dependent USRBIN scoring, the region volume
is not taken into account by FLUKA, even if entered explicitely
in the geometry section.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Il 16/04/2017 13:15, hamed.feizi_at_sci.uk.ac.ir ha scritto:

> Dear FLUKA experts,
>
> I have simulated a human phantom and I intend to estimate the total
> equivalent dose in each region (the number of regions are 15).
> Unfortunately, I have serious problems with this issue. Since the
> _total_ equivalent dose is desire, I think I should use USRBIN card
> with what1=12 (by region). If so, how can I reach the results (because
> in this case, I only nead total equivalent dose in each region=15
> numbers). Is this correct? Which one should I use? DOSE-EQ or
> DOSEQULET? I would be grateful if anybody can attach an input file
> which can do such simulation.
> Best Regards,
> Hamed.

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy