RE: [fluka-discuss]: How to define fluence and time distribution

From: Thomas Frosio <thomas.frosio_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 09:35:11 +0000

Dear Vladimir,

1) In order to define fluences at the entrance of elements in your geometry, I suggest you to use USRBDX score so that you can get fluence at the boundary.
     You can see in USRBDX that you have to define two regions (WHAT(4) and WHAT(5)).
     Furthermore, with this kind of score, you will be able to define one-way/two-ways scoring.
     If you want to control precisely the direction of the fluence, I suggest that you split your region BBOX in different regions in order to have only one direction fluence.
     To avoid overlaps due to numerical treatment, you should prefer to split the region using planes instead of different RPP Boxes.
     To explain better with an example, in your 1a) case: you want fluence at the entrance of RHOLE.
     So you have to split BBOX in a way that BBOX and RHOLE have a common boundary as done on the picture attached.
     Then, in USRBDX score, you will configure region from BBOX1 to RHOLE to get fluence at the red boundary on my picture.
     For SCIN, it is exactly the same.

2) Regarding your second question, if your proton beam is at 1.35GeV constant, then your fluence will be the same whatever the time.
    USRBDX scores are given per primary so if you have a number of protons per time unit, you just have to multiply your fluence score by this number to get the fluence per time unit.

Best regards,
Thomas Frosio