Re: cross-sections

From: Giuseppe Battistoni <Giuseppe.Battistoni@mi.infn.it>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 09:34:40 CEST

Dear Marina,
it is not an easy task. FLUKA, a part few exceptions, does not rely for
this physics on tabulated cross sections
but instead works on the basis of complex "microscopic" models which in
turn have parameters constrained
by means of first principles and comparison with existing data.
This approach is indeed the strength of FLUKA philosophy
in terms of reliability, but on the other hand it is clear that this
makes your request a difficult job.

Therefore, the only practical way for users (and for model builders as
well!) to get the plots that you need
is to "measure" such cross section in the Monte Carlo by means of the
analysis of simulated results in
the thin target limit.
In general this is not straightforward, and it could be easy to make
mistakes.
In case you wish to try this approach, before relying on the plots and
numbers that you will get,
you should directly contact FLUKA authors to organize some fundamental
checks, in order to avoid
any risk of misleading representation of the model features.

    Best regards
                Giuseppe Battistoni