Re: [fluka-discuss]: Efficiency of Detector

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 10:09:23 +0200

Dear Norman

Some of the answers depend on the details of your setup and your input.
I will try to give some general hints.

i. Depends on the activity of the source and of the time interval during
which the experimental data were taken, and the estimator you used in
Fluka.  Almost all estimators give results normalized to one primary
particle, except for DETECT  that is not normalized, and EVENTBIN, that
outputs results at each primary.  If your radioactive source has an
activity of M Becquerels, and the experiment lasted L seconds, the data
normalization factor will be the total number of source disintegrations:
F=M*L. The Fluka normalization factor, as said, depends on the estimator
you used. Can be 1 or N where N is the number of primaries.
Of course all this is valid only if the geometry is correct. I mean, the
distance from source to detector, container of the source, window of the
detector, angle of emission of the source, shielding around the detector
if any...All must be the same.

ii and iii : see above.

iv:  yes

Hope this helps