Re: x-Rays Transport

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:29:33 -0700 (PDT)

<23ef9c220907120051r9877cd9yb037cf870d501a83_at_mail.gmail.com>
Sender: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it

--1334205520-352552295-1247421898=:20544

Dear Ali,

I send my answer to the list, although you sent your mail directly to
me. Please keep all your correspondence on the list, so that anybody
can answer and other users can profit of the answer.

Your input file is full of errors. Remember what I told you?
"Without the input file, we can only guess, and the possible causes are
thousands". And indeed, there were many, difficult to guess.

First of all the geometry cannot work: the three regions Dum,
Target and Det are nearly completely overlapping. The purpose of the Dum
region is not clear, since it is never used, but maybe you intended to
use it in a next run. The easiest way to make a correct geometry in
your case is to define a cylinder, and to cut it with one or two planes.

Then there is a lot of confusion about energies. You say "I want to
simulate the transport of x-rays having E=100 keV", but in the BEAM
command you set the photon energy = 1.D-6, which is 1 keV, not 100.
By the way, the lower limit of photon transport is 1 keV, so starting
with that energy will never work. You need the primary photons to have at
least 7 keV (it is written in the manual).
Then, with EMFCUT you set the transport limit to 1.D-7, which is 0.1 keV,
again too low. Fortunately the program resets it to an acceptable value,
but I have an impression that you have made a general mistake in
converting keV to GeV. For instance, you request a USRBDX with energy limits
1.0D-8 and 2.0D-6: which means between 10 eV and 2 keV: of course you will
never score anything. The lower limit must not be lower than 1.E-6, and of
course you cannot expect to get a "spectrum" between 1 and 2 keV!

Other odd things, probably doing no harm, but difficult to understand:
- why do you request Leading Particle Biasing (EMFCUT, WHAT(3)=255.)?
   The purpose of LPB is to accelerate the simulation of showers, but
   there are no showers at 100 keV and less. (In addition,if you request it,
   use EMF-BIAS, and not EMFCUT which is the obsolete way)
- Why do you give command EMF, which is useless with the DEFAULTS you are
   using (PRECISIO)? And by the way, the DEFAULTS I would recommend for
   your problem is not PRECISIO, but EM-CASCA.
- and finally, never start a particle on a boundary!

Best regards,

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025
Phone: (1 650) 926 4762   Fax: (1 650) 926 3569
fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu
--1334205520-352552295-1247421898=:20544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--1334205520-352552295-1247421898=:20544--