New release: flair-0.9.1 + evaluation form

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis <Vasilis.Vlachoudis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:39:29 +0000

Dear FLUKA users,
Sender: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it

after a couple of months of development I am happy to announce the release of 0.9.1.
Normally I don't do announcements of minor releases of flair, but apart from
several bug fixes it contains many enhancements in the new interactive geometry
viewer, thus is not that "minor" but not "major" either.

After spending a couple of years of flair development I would appreciate if you
could spend few minutes for me to complete anonymously the evaluation/feedback form,
on the program and feature requests.

         http://pceet075.cern.ch/flair

I would appreciate even NON-FLAIR users to complete at least the first
section of the form

The main enhancements are:
- Formula evaluation in the input. Instead of using numeric whats you can
supply any formula even with cross reference to other cards e.g. = 10*cm*sind(10) (10cm times sin of 10deg).
See manual F3.1

- A lot of work on avoiding the reformatting of the input. e.g inline comments in regions, commented cards etc.
- Scrolled frames for small displays (using mouse wheel or middle mouse button)
- Geometry viewer:
    Introduction of user-customizable layers (Manual F6.8)
    * Lattice and Voxel drawing
    * Various color-plots of input parameters (density, BIASING, EMF-CUT's)
    * Background Image aligned with views. For example a technical drawing
    * Interactive USRBIN projection in 2D and 3D-ray traced
    * Fast 3D raytracing support!
    * Customizable colorband scale when displaying USRBIN or input parameters
    * Added viewport history
    * Zone display of regions
    * More robust floating point calculations on the boundaries
  - Popup-menu allowing permanent visibility of bodies
  - Image exporting (using PIL)

For image exporting and for using the background image the python imaging
library is required together with the necessary tk interface.
Therefore you need to install two additional packages
In Fedora and Ubuntu: python-imaging and python-imaging-tk

If you have troubles in compiling the geoviewer you can always test-it by
downloading the FLUPIX from the FLUKA web site. (it will be uploaded soon)

Best Regards

Vasilis Vlachoudis
Dep EN, CERN
CH-1211 GENEVA 23