Re: On biasing

From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:07:50 +0200

Dear Beatrice

In order to find out if results are reliable you should calculate the=20
statistical uncertainty for your quantity of interest over a number of=20
runs (more than three). Results are generally reliable if the error is=20
below 10%. Note that errors above 20% can still mean a true uncertainty of=
=20
a factor of few.

Contour plots with visible particle "tracks" usually point to significant=
=20
statistical fluctuations that can also be introduced by the application of=
=20
excessive biasing.

Cheers
Stefan

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, beatrice pomaro wrote:

> [...]
> Do you think that, with this statistics, the results are reliable?=A0=A0=
=A0
> If, so, it seems to me to conclude that the different regions (aggregate,=
 cement
> paste and interfacial zone) are not differently crossed by neutrons or ha=
ve
> different deposition of energy. Am I correct?
> Thank you again for your help,
> sincerely,
> Beatrice
>=20
>=20
>=20
> At 13.45 22/07/2011, Paola Sala wrote:
> Dear Beatrice,
> if I understand correctly your routine, it seems to me that it is
> doing
> the opposite of what I suggested. My suggestion was to kill particl=
es
> far
> from the aggregate : "assign a small importance to "far" regions=A0=
 " ,
> but
> you are instead increasing the importance as the radius increases.
>
> Maybe I was not clear : in your case, the usual way of biasing, tha=
> is
> incrementing artificially the number of particles,=A0 has no meanin=
g,
> because you are interested in a zone on the surface of the shieldin=
g,
> zone that is reached without attenuation. In your case, you can try
> gain speed, reduce cpu time per primary, by reducing the time spent
> in
> particles far from the aggregate, therefore reducing the importance
> at
> large radii.
>
> If you succeed, for a given number of primaries you should get the
> same
> statistivcal error but with a reduced cpu time
> Hope it helps, and I hope I did not misunderstand your setup
>
> Paola
>
> > Dear Dr. Sala,
> >=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 thank you for your last expla=
nations on the problem I
> > brought on Flukadiscuss; I have used the biasing card by modifyin=
> > the USIMBS routine, because my geometry is quite complicated in t=
he
> > investigated area, due to the presence of small aggregates in the
> > concrete shielding.
> > In the subroutine I ask biasing to be applied only at regions fro=
> 7
> > to 67, which correspond to the regions of the investigated small
> area
> > in front of the target, where I modelled concrete with its
> aggregates
> > and cement paste. Also I ask to use biasing only for neutrons
> (JTRACK=3D8).
> > In the subroutine, the importance factor between two regions, FIM=
P,
> [...]
> >>Please have a look at the lectures from the fluka courses for mor=
> info.

> to do
> from
> >>EMFCUT works by region. You can segment your geometry, and put hi=
gh
> >>electron-photon thresholds in regions far from the aggregate. How
> far and
> >>how high? have a look at the range of electrons and photons in
> concrete.
> >>Keep a region around the aggregate with the same transport
> threshold as
> >>the aggregate, to preserve electronic equilibrium.
> >>

> >>and point 3) use biasing to kill particles that
> >>
> >>It is very unlikely, for instance, that a neutron that is 2 m dee=
> in the
> >>part of the shield oopposite to the aggregate will ever reach the
> >>aggregate itself. So: if -again- you segmant your hgeometry, you
> can
> >>choose
> >>either to eliminate part of your shiled, or to assign a small
> importance
> >>to "far" regions (with the BIASING card) , so that only a fractio=
> of the
> >>particles will be transported there.
> >>Hope this helps
> >>Paola

> your
> >> case.
> is on
> the
> >> beam
> >> biasing
> >> meaningless:
> according
> e.m.
> >> shielding

> My
> UC2
> small
> aggregates
> >> and
> reported
> >> as
> I can
> >> biasing
> you
> >> can
> am
> >> not
> >> >

> >>Paola Sala
> >>INFN Milano
> >>tel. Milano +39-0250317374
> >>tel. CERN=A0=A0 +41-227679148

> > Ing. Beatrice Pomaro
> >
> > Universita' degli Studi di Padova
> > Dipartimento di Costruzioni e Trasporti
> > Via F. Marzolo, 9 - 35131 Padova (Italy)
> > tel.: +39 049 8275605
> > e-mail: pomaro_at_dic.unipd.it
> >
>=20
>
> Paola Sala
> INFN Milano
> tel. Milano +39-0250317374
> tel. CERN=A0=A0 +41-227679148
>=20
> Ing. Beatrice Pomaro
>=20
> Universita' degli Studi di Padova
> Dipartimento di Costruzioni e Trasporti
> Via F. Marzolo, 9 - 35131 Padova (Italy)

---1970678318-274367657-1311628070=3D:1699--