RE: How to Calculate Electronic Damage?

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:42:59 +0000

Dear Vahan,

>> How can I figure out that silicon was damaged from plots of USRBIN (SI1MEVNE) card?
As already mentioned, it depends what you are actually interested in. Lattice damage may affect your device differently depending what you are looking at (e.g. it might be different for CMOS than for bipolar devices).

>> Can you list steps in order to calculate radiation damage in arbitrary material for example ceramics or metal with FLUKA?
As a measure of radiation damage, you might want to consider to calculate Displacement Per Atom (DPA).
Have a look at the following lecture from the last advance FLUKA course (the course material always being a useful source of information):
https://www.fluka.org/free_download/course/triumf2012/Lectures/AdvancedMaterialsScoring2012.pdf
Note that you can set the DPA energy threshold via the MAT-PROP card.

Cheers, Anton