Re: Bug in FLUKA or error in the setup?

From: Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:19:22 -0700

2013 04:19:21 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-fluka-discuss_at_smtp2.mi.infn.it

Hello everyone,

A big thanks to Alessio. We were able to nail down the issue earlier today.

The problem was from my end.

I was using expressions and parameters when defining the planes
dividing up the regions into subregions in flair, parameters like the
beam dump width, height, length, front face of the beam dump, beam y and
z positions, front face of the beam dump, etc. This time, when I
changed the parameter values to the ones I got from the engineer working
on the beam dump design, I only modified the main/master input file.
The cloned files were seeing the old parameters, and therefore, the
geometry for the cloned files was different (with lots of errors such as
BS04, BS08, BS12, and BS16 not even being defined - thus not seeing any
deposited energy in them).

I was under the impression that when the input files were copied, every
thing was copied from the master file. I wasn't aware that the
parameter values were not. So I should have either re-created the
cloned runs or changed the parameter values by hand (former is more
error-proof). This was the first time I had ran into this issue since
the parameters in the last projects I have worked on did not change
during the course of the analysis. The beam dump is under design so the
parameters did change and might change again.

So you can say the problem was literally right in front of my face
whenever I was setting off a test run but never bothered to look at the
parameters set for the cloned (and the test runs), thinking the values
were the ones set in the master input file.

Anyhow, a very tired but happy Mina. It is a good day when nagging
problems are solved.
And thanks again to Alessio.

Cheers,
Mina