RE: [fluka-discuss]: Number of ionizations in a region

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:15:03 +0100

Dear Angelo

I'm afraid there is some basic misunderstanding:

- FLUKA, as any condensed history code, is not at all designed to describe
single ionization events releasing electrons below the delta ray
threshold, which in FLUKA has a hard limit at 1 keV (still you need to
lower it down from the default value). This means that you can ask the
code to explicitly generate and transport electrons above 1keV (and
scoring the generalized particle NET-CHRG you can get the charge variation
in the space), but all other ionization losses are considered as
continuous along the primary particle track and not as discrete events
yielding electrons you can score. The associated piece of info you can get
is just the energy deposition along the track.

- tracklength [cm] density [cm-3] is the definition of fluence [cm-2]. As
you score it on a regular USRBIN mesh, then you do not need at all the bin
volume: this is known by the code and used to get tracklength density in a
bin out of the tracklength calculation. If instead you score by region,
then you will just get tracklength [cm] since the code does not know the
region volume, as indicated by Vittorio.

Ciao

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI